Friday, September 2, 2011

The Rocky Challenge

Nothing says opportunity like brisk mornings(cold enough to be fall... a true sign the seasons are changing), Starbucks and thrifty shopping. The morning had an ironic feeling, a unique sense of aw as we set out for our new challenge (rocky challenge? Subtle movie reference?). Rhys and I (that’s my new found boyfriend –equally as thrifty-) put our IPHONES together and selected the perfect “champion song” rocky soundtrack as in the movie he would be running up the stairs surpassing all obstacles we ran towards the discount stores with the same feeling of invigoration to accomplish the impossible!
Clearance after clearance we rummaged. Somewhere between local finds, and vintage awesome I found something that I loved. I couldn’t let it go I just had to have it and I had no idea why! I found this small greyhound silhouette at the local home sense store, discounted to the cheapest price possible. Total 5$ (yes we are still using Canadian dollars!) It’s unique, versatile and something that I havn’t quite seen yet anywhere. I was thinking I could possibly add it to a mural.
It wasn’t till we were sitting on a bench several hours later sipping coffee we realized that discount shopping was hard! We had been rummaging but the logical fact was that we needed a new bed spread to set the tone of the room. The problem? Neither of us knew what we wanted the theme to be. Clearance shopping with no focal idea could be problematic! It was then, right outside Michael’s craft store we decided that we needed to have some focal ideas. Our colour palate would consist of 4 shades yellow, green, grey, white OR blue, brown, white, natural; the goal? To find furniture that mixed the classical elements of a cottage theme with the modern sleekness of vintage 50’s furniture. Simple lines but a feeling of cozy! (Inspiration photo’s to follow!)




Keeping it edgy and cheep seemed like it might be a bit of a challenge. Like a child being told no, I felt myself wanting but thinking “Budget. Budget. Budget” The rules were still simple, every item that I loved I asked myself three questions (1) is it something I’ve already owned? (2) is it on clearance or on sale? (3) is it second hand?
This weekend is going to be some major putting the nose to the grind stone! Work hard, Decorate effective! Be thrifty! I have a good feeling about this weekend as I hit all the major department stores, thrift shops and garage sales!

No comments:

Post a Comment