Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Twelve Days Of Christmas: Day 5

There are times in your life that rival no other for the excitement they bring us. When I was younger it was the anticipation of Christmas eve and Christmas day. Of course by mid September I had all my lists ready, easy bake ovens, spice girls CD's... grandma and grandpa to come for the holidays. But as I've grown up I've changed, gifts are no longer the things in life that make me giddy like a school girl (well still sometimes!) but it's when a friends looks me in the eyes and says "I need to decorate my place.. can you help?". It usually starts with silence.... slight smirking.... then squealing.... and then a rush to the nearest second hand store, IKEA and homesense.

That being said, of course.... I didn't take that many before picture. In fact I didn't really take any at all.... I tore open the shutters and threw up the sash(Yup, subtle Christmas reference)! My dear friend Gina wanted to give her new pad a special something this holiday season, and take it from feeling like a rental to feeling like a home. I've always loved her taste! Even when discussing our personal styles we were joking about how we generally love each others style because we are quite similar -- so shopping together is so easy! With a quick chat of what she was looking for, we took our shopping lists, gathered some Christmas cheer and headed out with one mission: Make a home!


Well -- it wasn't long before Gina had a luscious fabric with bold prints in her hands, some fabulous lighting and a retro piece of furniture selected. So there we were going through checkout after checkout styling a new space. Of course once we got to her new space which felt to her like she needed colour "I'd like orange and yellows, warm colours" she said, and with that we dove right in to getting that place sparkling. -- (Thanks to another close friend of mine Elyssa we were able to really complete a ton of what needed to be done, here handy-ness (is that a word?) was really a Christmas miracle and helped complete the project!)

 
Assume your decorating positions! I put my hand upon your hip, when I dip you dip we dip.... yes that is actually the first song I thought of when I glanced at this picture. That and -- "Here she comes misssss America" So you're probably thinking "well what did you do already?" -- As you can see in the two first photos here the living room window isn't centered so we decided we were going to play a little with texture and pattern to fake it center. What does that mean? We measured what was actually centered based on the wall and covered the sides with large panels.
 


Crazy Daisy right? -- How much better does that look! We made the panels using a fabric that Gina loved from IKEA. All we did was use "Iron sow" which essentially glues the pieces together and we created drape panels, with enough to spare for cushions later!

The second half of the room I don't have a before picture sadly! Just some lovely after pictures to share with you. -- well except for this half one where we've already added the IKEA LACK table as well as this beautiful vintage 1950's cabinet record player. Putting up her Christmas tree as she gets ready to host a Christmas party.



The glow of the space, the unique qualities of mixing modern with stylish mid century furniture is breathtaking. One of my favorite pieces in the space is the gold stool as well as the gold star resting on top of the cabinet. The whole space breathes of life and has a very welcoming airy feel. -- The bold printed drapes offer a focal point to the room that creates interest and adds height to the room.

 

After it was all said and done, moments before party guests arrived I asked Gina how she felt about her new space, "Its perfect combination of budget and beauty! You can only call a place home when you feel its yours and it feels like it represents me now... I love my living room!" She confessed "I Love it so much that now I want to have people over all the time just to share it with others... (not to mention I've slept in my living room for the past two nights)"

Well I'm looking forward to spending much more time in this lovely space. Happy Holidays to a beautiful friend and her new warm inviting space.

No comments:

Post a Comment