Wednesday, April 10, 2013

How to Paint a Shelf: Part Two

So after a few days of rest and relaxation (this isn't a required step but I like to let the paint set a day) Like I said, so back to the painting... you're probably wondering what the next steps are!

Step 4: Paint, paint, paint. I like to use enamel because it's more durable, at first.... it's a bit soft, but it hardens over the coming weeks to give it a truly sturdy finish.


So this is the progression of the past few coats of paint. When you are painting white or any light colour on a dark colour one thing to remember is that it's going to take a few coats of paint... and by few I mean 3-4 and sometimes 5.

One....

Two...



As I was preparing to do the next coat I came up with a brilliant idea. As we are trying to fill that hallway with a long seamless type of shelf I decided that adding some moulding to the base in a few simple steps. Being that we live in an apartment we don't have many tools. So I used a miter box and a tiny saw with some basic finish nails and a hammer.



And some of the third coat of paint....



So with all the hard work done... for the most part! I'm taking the rest of the evening off. One things to be said about painting and a bit of molding, it can brighten up any old object like new!

Guy on the move gets updated every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. -- Why? It's because we are in absolute love with these days! We are perhaps having a dance party every time we load a post.... true story.

No comments:

Post a Comment