Monday, April 29, 2013

You're my wonder wallflower

What a weekend! It started out simple enough with a few projects, throw some friends, a French themed dessert party and a hint of jazz and I'm on board! This weekend, I wanted to challenge myself I looked all over the internet for creative ideas to do with either recyclable paper, or any easy DIY fun project for a weekend. It was one that I found in passing made from old books that I loved.... it was a wallflower. -- now this large flower on the wall obsession happened about a year ago, there were these circular fabric (yarn almost) flowers that were really popular... sad part I can't remember what they are called (a true sign I'm aging) But this comes in close second! So what do you do? Well you make a million cone shapes out of paper and build on them. The tools I used for this are:

- Glue
- Double sided tape
- Glue gun
- Cardboard
- Lots of Paper

So you just start out with the primary layers, like this:



Between each piece I used double sided tape to hold them together really well. The first few layers I did the cones a bit tighter, and then I loosened them as I got closer to the front



Now, this looks easy, but it actually took me about 45 minutes (watching devil wears prada I might add) to get the first circle completed, the good news is as you get closer to the center and build more layers you have less to cone.




I used double sided tape and glue to gold the layers together, to get that extra strong hold (can you see how large this flower is ? It's the size of a table -- WOWA!



You can see here that I got a thick piece of white cardboard and glued it to the back of the flower, to give it that extra strength when it would be up against the wall. No word of a lie, as I started to make it, and it got bigger and bigger, I was terrified that it would all fall apart after I put it on the wall. But so far so good, it's been up for a few days now. So a little further into the project:



Success! It's complete! -- And yes those are my happy feet! So, the center part I just accordion folded some paper, and I hair sprayed that bad boy into place. I let it sit for a few hours before I put it up... after all I was having friends over -- so naturally I needed to unveil the finished product.



Before:


After:




Pretty Cute right? It has sculptural properties, fills a HUGE part of the wall and cost 6 bucks. I mean does it really get any better than that? Paper to the rescue!

Guy on the move gets updated every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. -- Why? It's because we are in absolute love with these days! We are perhaps having a dance party every time we load a post.... true story.

9 comments:

  1. Holy crap! Considering this for my bedroom now!!! :) You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shannon! You'll love it if you do it! Promise :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I can't believe how huge it is! Totally going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey! Its awesome and pretty easy to make! A fabulous add to any space :)

      Delete
  4. This is very pretty. Love how big of an impact it has on the wall. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We just love it! -- XO Mike and Karen

      Delete
  5. We do too! It's so easy to make! Let us know if you try making it too! We'd love to see how other people use them in there space :) -- XO Mike and Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it so much! So much, that I think I'm going to attempt one myself for my bedroom! :) I will post pictures on my blog when I do... which will most likely be this weekend! I will also credit your blog for the idea when I do. Thanks for the inspiration!

    www.thriftysista.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're so happy you like it! Let us know how yours turns out, we are for sure going to take a peak at your blog to check out your thrifty ideas :) - XO Mike and Karen

      Delete