Sunday, October 30, 2011

The weekend after!

It’s been a long hard weekend, it turns out that painting bent wood chairs presents its own challenges. With everything being curve and cylindrical it becomes an issue to make sure that you get every nook and cranny of every space. It took a frustrating hour per coat per chair (compared to the 20 min for two night stands per coat it was taking me before). So needless to say, between working 16 hour days, and dealing with some personal issues, the entire painting event was a little more stressful than I had planned... I guess this brings a new meaning to blood sweat and tears. Not to worry though, I put my nose once again to the grind stone, and completed the long hard task of painting the chairs.
I originally decided on a bright green, although, as I stood there (paint sample in tow) I had a shocking thought, I might not like green for an extended period of time... thus I concluded to stay with shades, and accent with bolds (it also gave it more of a Paris meets Edmonton kind of look).
The happily before pictures of the chairs/room/space:

If you follow along with the steps, or are trying this at home, sanding down the pieces is a must, then after that you want to apply an oil based primer to seal the wood.

After you have completed that, it’s best to apply a water based paint (it comes out of floors better I promise!) and to take a deep breath! You have 2-4 coats to finish ahead of you.

Lastly, it’s time to let it set (and apply a poly coat if you want for that added wipe-able protection)

For those of you who are just joining us guyonthe-move is updated every monday, wednesday and friday with fantastic tips and cool tricks to keeping your home modern at a frugal price!
Now time to accent! Off to HomeSence! Make sure to check out Wednesday’s blog for some amazing before and after pictures!

2 comments:

  1. these chairs came out perfect! what a nice contrast with the white table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) the best part is that they were so cheap! Looking online it's comparable to 150$ chairs brand new!

    ReplyDelete